Wednesday 28 September 2011

Dirk's Tale on Becoming a Derby Hero

Dirk Kuyt has revealed how one of his finest moments in a Liverpool shirt could easily have seen a different name etched into Merseyside derby folklore.


The Dutch international initiated his prolific form against the Blues back in 2007 when he netted a brace and now reveals who is due the credit for helping him do so.

"In my second year as a Liverpool player, it was a really tough game and the breaks went our way. I remember Rafa read out his list of penalty takers before the game and I was second choice. Andriy Voronin was first on the list.

"When the referee gave the first penalty, Andriy came to me and asked whether I wanted it because he didn't feel too confident. I said: 'No problem...I'll take it.'

"I was so happy to score the first one and when the second one came around, I didn't hesitate. You know that if you miss it, you probably draw the game, but it feels like a loss because it's in the last minute.

"To score the winner; it was one of the best feelings I've experienced in my Liverpool career.

Kuyt who has scored 5 goals against our rivals, can't wait to take them on again.

"It's a game I really enjoy. As a football player you always look forward to the biggest games," he said.
"You enjoy the atmosphere, the pressure and the expectation. It's why you become a professional. Liverpool v Everton is one of the biggest games of the season and when you win, especially away at Goodison Park, it is one of the best feelings.
"The thing I really like about the Merseyside derby is that the game is fast and physical and you quite often have one or two strong tackles on the pitch.
"But at the end of the game, the players shake hands. My brother-in-law is a big Ajax fan who was there at Goodison in 2007 and he too commented on how, despite the outcome of the match, both sets of supporters generally got along quite well."


Source: Liverpoolfc.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment

KONTERA