Wednesday 28 September 2011

Enrique's Hopes of Playing for Spain

He is the man who has finally solved Liverpool's left-back conundrum - but although Kopites have been wowed by Jose Enrique since his move from Newcastle, the player himself is not getting carried away.


While several potential contenders for LFC's left-back position failed to be fruitful, Jose Enrique has won the support of the Kop, and already has 2 man-of-the-match awards (From the fans) to his name.

However, Enrique knows this may not be sufficient to earn him a spot in the Spanish XI. Enrique's hopes to constantly improve and make it to the international level.

Enrique also revealed the left-backs he's been studying at rival clubs.

"To get the fans with you, you have to play well, at the moment I think I've done well but I can do better.

"I have to improve of course. Sometimes I think about my mistakes and I want to kick myself.
"I'm like every person - I know when I've done good things and I know when I've done bad things. In football it's the same. I always think about my mistakes.
"I watch videos of other left-backs. I like Ashley Cole a lot - I think he's one of the best left-backs in the world. Others too, like Marcelo.
"I think if I keep improving I can be there (with Spain). I haven't gone yet because it's really hard to go - we won the last World Cup and the last European Championships, but I hope in the future I can be there.
"When I signed here I wanted to play Champions League football with this club and also to try and go to the national team. If I go I'll be happy but for me the national team is an extra. It's important but for me it's my club first."


"It was a nice assist but the truth is, Luis made everything with the goal," said Enrique. "I know I played the ball but he scored a nice goal.
"Everyone knows about Luis. He's started really, really well here but the people maybe don't realise that he's still really young. I tell him he looks 35-years-old but no, he's still young - 24 I think.
"When I was at Newcastle I said all the time it was a nice squad, but when I came here I thought because it was a big team it would be more difficult in the dressing room.
"But no. It's a really, really good dressing room and everyone is together.
"When I started it's difficult to be confident, it's a big team, a different dressing room, but now I can joke all the time. The best thing I can do in my life is play football. I love to play football and you have to enjoy it. I try to enjoy it all the time, I am funny with Luis and Maxi, making jokes and everything."


"I like the training more," he said. "When I was at Newcastle the training was easier I think. Here it's a little harder and I like that because when I was in Spain it was really hard too.
"Everyone here tries to give everything. Sometimes it's hard when some players don't play, but here they try to give 100 per cent in training. Of course this is a big team and you can't play every game. You have two or three players for each position so you have to train really hard.
"Always I make siesta (afterwards) every day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

KONTERA